Mushroom and Carmelized Onion Tart
Flour, for rolling the puff pastry
1 sheet frozen puff pastry
2 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 large white onions, sliced into wedges
1 pound button mushrooms
Coarse sea salt
3 oz goat cheese (I used Chavrie Basil and Roasted Garlic Goat’s Milk Cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. On a floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a 16-by-10-inch rectangle. Trim uneven edges. and place the pastry onto a baking sheet.
3. Using a fork, prick the dough at 1/2-inch intervals. Do not prick the border of the dough, approximately 1″ from the edges.
4. Pre-bake the crust for about 15 minutes.
5. While the crust is baking, heat a pan with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute onions and garlic on medium heat until translucent and browned, stirring every minute or so (about 25 minutes total). Add mushrooms and sea salt, saute an additional ten minutes, or until mushrooms have lost their raw quality.
6. Pour mushroom and onion mixture onto prebaked tart, and drop dollops of goat cheese at approximately 3 inch intervals.
7. Bake for an additional 10 minutes, allow to cool, and serve.