- Sugarlaws - http://www.sugarlaws.com -
Posted By katy On October 5, 2007 @ 2:05 pm In uncategorized | 2 Comments
Combine goat cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, olive oil and bread, and what do you get? A really delicious dinner. I used whole wheat pitas, but you could make this sandwich on a thick sourdough bread for a traditional panini, or on plain or flavored flatbread. Serve it with a salad or soup, and you have a light, healthy, vegetarian meal.
You could make this with brie cheese, too, just toast them a little longer on the cheese-side of the sandwich.
2 whole wheat Pitas, cut in half and sliced open
6-8 large button mushrooms
1 small or medium onion
1 tbsp olive oil
2 vine-ripened tomatoes (use plum tomatoes if you can’t find them)
4 oz goat cheese
1. Cut mushrooms and tomatoes into thin slices; cut onion in half and then slice it.
2. Saute mushrooms and onion in 1 tbsp olive oil for about 5 minutes on medium-high heat, or until onion slices are translucent. Add tomato slices and sautee for an additional 2 minutes.
3. Spread goat cheese on 4 of the pita slices. Spoon vegetable mixture over the cheese, and top with remaining pita halves.
4. Wipe down the saute pan with a paper towel. Coat with cooking spray, and place two of the sandwiches into the pan, using a spatula. Heat for 3-5 minutes, and flip. Repeat for the two remaining sandwiches.
Article printed from Sugarlaws: http://www.sugarlaws.com
URL to article: http://www.sugarlaws.com/pita-paninis
Copyright © 2009 Sugarlaws. All rights reserved.