These were great, and SO easy! This is a really, really light recipe — you can even add a few pats of (forthcoming) basil butter, guilt-free. However, since most of its moistness comes from the milk, and not oil, it won’t keep very well. Eat it within a day or two, and make sure it’s stored in an airtight container. This would be a great brunch side dish, or you could use it as a dinner appetizer, like I did. Delicious!
Here’s what it looked like in the dish — irresistible!
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal and milk.
3. Grease a medium-size baking dish, or two smaller dishes.
4. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil and whisk until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan(s).
3. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Makes about 24 slices.